Monday 30 May 2011

London Marathon 2011

I've been meaning for a while to write about the London Marathon.

Not a lot to say really. Looking at my splits (details below) I was pretty consistent (at a pace I was happy with) up until the last 10k when I slowed down by about 30 seconds or so per km.

I beat my time from 2 years ago but only by a couple of minutes.

Up until that last 10km I was really enjoying it. But Am not sure I'd do another one (at least until after I've retired!)

A few other things:
  • Toilets (lack of) was an issue and added probably 10 or 15 minutes.
  • The atmosphere at the start was great. Although I wasn't at that stage convinced I'd finish it (shin splints were playing up and I'd had 3 weeks of no running before the race)
  • Despite a race plan in terms of hydration, I accepted a couple of horrid tasting energy shots along the way. And had a lukozade gelling despite knowing it would make me feal sick (it did)
  • There was a wonderful atmosphere around east London.
  • Some great efforts from fundraisers. A lady pulling a huge tyre (why?); the man doing keepy-uppy; the blind policeman
  • For some foolish reason I decided to run wide on corners and roundabouts. really don't know why as it must have added a bit of distance.
  • Doing the long way round the roundabout at Tower Bridge meant I wad pretty much by myself. Lots of screaming of my name.
  • It was hot.
  • Saw someone having a seizure just a few hundred metres from the end. And saw quite a few people dropping out/ having massages. saw some bloody nipples.
  • Met the family at mile 11, canary wharf,and st james. Saw Maureen & Bruce on the last corner
  • Lots of sweets on offer around the course.
  • At a couple of points the shouting/screaming was very loud
  • Up to mile 16 I wanted to do it again. But the last 10km were very hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment